Saturday, July 4, 2009

My gardens

at home

Now you probably wonder if I am spending all my time on the road these days, and it sure feels like it. But in fact, I do garden at home as well as in the community garden.

At home I planted corn, heirloom runner beans, and pumpkins and butternut squash. I had read Buffalo Bird Woman's Garden, describing the old ways food was grown by the Hidatsa people in North Dakota. The corn and beans are planted together, with the squash plants surrounding them. Supposedly, critters like raccoons do not like to wade through the leaves and so the corn is kept safe. We'll see about that. To increase security, my neighbors came over to put up a rough fence and so far nothing has been eaten.

in town

In town, I have a small plot planted with a couple of tomato plants, onions, radishes, cucumbers, carrots, dill, and sunflowers. I bought a packet of mixed heirloom sunflowers, and I planted them all willy-nilly. It will be interesting to see what they look like.

This year I won't be feeding myself entirely from my gardening efforts, but I am learning the process and so we'll see how I do next year. But this is why I appreciate all the farmers markets!

No comments:

Post a Comment