Friday, February 19, 2010

Is it cheez?

"We Can't Say It's Cheese" is a mouthful of a name to ask for at the store, but if you don't see this Bozeman-made Wayfare Foods product in a refrigerated case, do make an effort to find it.

This non-dairy spread is a real treat. Don't expect it to taste exactly like cheese, for of course it isn't, but it is close enough to be satisfying. And naturally, it is healthy, with ingredients like non-GMO oatmeal, pimentos, and cane juice.

There are a variety of flavors, and I can say the Hickory-Smoked Cheddar-Style Spread is, like, wow! Pictured on this blog post is the plain Cheddar-Style Spread. If you like that processed cheese spread stuff that comes in small glasses, this is similar in texture.

I bought one container, and now I wish I'd really stocked up. It's a long way to the Billings co-op, but as soon as I get a chance, I'll be on my way to pick up more of this.

I tend to be a purist, so I looove it spread on crackers or bread, but you probably can think of other ways to use it. Maybe put it between Ritz crackers and make your own cheese crackers. There are recipes on the company Web site, so check that out. For example, the Cheddar Pie Crust, filled with apples, is an intriguing idea.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds quite tasty. Wonder if it is a Montana-only specialty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you'd have to drive a ways to find some, but it is supposedly available outside Montana: http://wayfarefoods.com/stores

    ReplyDelete