Thursday, October 8, 2009

Soup, beautiful soup

As more snow clouds rolled in from the north this afternoon, I made my favorite soup: Massur Dal and Carrot Soup from Vegan Lunch Box, by Jennifer McCann.

I am not vegan, but I thoroughly enjoy Jennifer's recipes. They are simple (if you don't bother with the garnishes; clever, but I can do without), and they always turn out well. You can read her blog at veganlunchbox.blogspot.com.

Massur dal is known as red lentils in the U.S. Here in Montana, Timeless Food packages them in Conrad. The story of this company and what it aims to accomplish is interesting, so I hope you take a few minutes to read their Web site.

Combine these red lentils with carrots, onion, garlic, coconut milk, and a few other ingredients, and you've got a great-tasting soup. I mix it up right in the pan with a blender stick.

The coconut milk and the spices are exotic for Montana, but the rest of the ingredients come from my garden or a Montana farm. I'd say that most of my food for this meal was produced right here in Montana. 

I felt the soup needed some substance, so I added croutons, which I made from the last bit of Vegetable-Flecked Bread.

It's getting dark out early today, so these photos aren't the best. It's supposed to get down to 19 degrees F tonight and 2 degrees F tomorrow night. Despite Montana's reputation for cold winters, this is unusual for October. The snow doesn't last long when it falls so early in the season, but the weather is pretty cold while it's out there.

My cats are huddled on top of each other. That's one way to keep warm. As for me, I'll eat my soup now, and then cuddle under a comforter to read.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you found a great use for your yummy-looking vegetable bread.

    The soup sounds scrumptious and hearty and just what is needed on a blistery fall day in Montana. I also love that most of the ingredients are from Montana.

    ReplyDelete