Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Lifeline Farm

I enjoy drinking milk, and here in Montana Lifeline Farm non-homogenized milk is my favorite. So it was quite a treat to visit their farm in Victor and chat with Jennifer. 

She spends most of her day milking, from 6 am to about 10 am, and from 6 pm to about 10 pm. She's also raising two cute kids and taking care of all the other farm chores that involve chickens and pigs as well as the dairy cattle.

We chatted about the dairy business in Montana because I'm on a quest to learn all I can about it. You naturally think of beef cattle in Montana, but there are also a few small dairies, which struggle under the burden of changing legislation.

Lifeline Farm is doing well with its milk products, which include butter and a variety of cheeses. I was thrilled with their brie; my friend Kimberlee exclaimed when she tasted it: "Is it butter? Or is it cheese?" Indeed!

Lucky people in the Bitterroot Valley can shop at the farm's store in Victor, but their products are available throughout the state.

My favorite part of the visit was tasting warm milk from the pasteurization machine that was churning next to the milking area.

No comments:

Post a Comment