Thursday, July 26, 2012

Who needs a blue ribbon?


I don't need a blue ribbon . . . I have a purple "Best of Show"!

My very first entry in a fair paid off big time! I am so proud!

Today in the Sweet Grass County Fair, I entered a yellow cake with marshmallow creme frosting (I can't say enough good things about that frosting!) in the Decorated Cakes division. When you get up close, it looks like a summer poolside scene.


Now I get a kick out of having the ribbon, and I am proud to say someone bid $50 for the cake at the fair auction. But when I brought my entry in, I could see it was already a winner. Anything that makes people happy is an instant winner.


Every entry was obviously a winner. Who could lose after making something special to share with fair-goers?

Now just so you know, a best of show ribbon means my cake was the best of all the cakes that were entered this year. And there were some nice-looking ones, including a darling set of cupcakes that were coated with white chocolate to look like eggs and presented in an egg carton. (Sorry, no pic. I was too awestruck by my own fortune.)

My cake was rated on taste as well as appearance, and that is why I am especially proud. The judges' notes read: "Very creative, lots of detail, good flavor, frosting creamy but not too sweet."

After judging, all entries throughout the fair are auctioned off (with the owner's permission) to pay for judges and ribbons. I was awfully proud that someone thought my cake was worth $50!

Here is my fabulous icing recipe, which I got out of a 1999 Woman's Day magazine. You can be a winner, too!

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow creme
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat butter in a medium bowl with mixer on medium speed until creamy. Beat in marshmallow creme. When well blended, beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Increase speed to high and beat 3 to 4 minutes until fluffy.

Makes 3 cups.

I dare you not to keep nibbling at this as you put it on the cake!

I've been warned that winning ribbons at the fair is addictive. Yep, I'm already planning for next year. Read all about The Rowdy Baker's blue ribbon experience!

See you next year at the fair!

1 comment:

  1. You have reason to be proud - that is an amazing cake! I hope you believe imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, because I'm dying to make this one!

    ReplyDelete